The Market


Farmers are smart people.

My grandfather was a farmer. He raised cattle and grew grapes in the lushness that we know as the "banana belt" sandwiched between Grimsby and St Catharines. It's not easy being a farmer. Early chores 7 days a week, sick animals, too hot and no crop, too wet and no crop yet they always seem to be one step ahead. Next time you see that your local Farmer's Market is open, pop in and have a walk around. You will see plenty of beans and tomatoes and lettuce and potatoes. There will be plenty of smiles and earthy hand shakes. The term "salt of the earth" must have been coined about a farmer.

While you are there at the market you will notice something peculiar. People all around you are buying fresh vegetables, meats and cheeses, preserves and honey, fresh cut flowers and hummus. Maybe even a fresh baked pie (apple with some old cheddar is my favorite). Know what you won't find? Check out counters, pharmacy sections, a pop & chip aisle. Look long and hard but these are not grocery stores, just simple little markets with people selling their goods to people that want to buy them.

I know exactly what you are thinking. How is this possible? I mean these are farmers. How do they know how much to sell their beans for? They never went to some fancy university like Queens to get their MBA. My lord how do they know the value of that cucumber???

You see the farmers have a little secret. I was blessed in my travels to have a few local farmers bestow their secret on me. I am going to share it with you under the expectation that you TELL NO ONE! I will deny it was me. Do you think I want to be black-balled by the farmers?

OK, here it is. It has a few basic steps but the concept is sound (It has been handed down for generations). Are you ready?
The market will dictate your pricing
Here is how they do it.
  1. See what other people are selling similar products for.
    ie. green beans and yellow beans could probably sell for the same price but watermelons and strawberries not so much.
  2. Price yours in a similar fashion and display them where buyers might find them.
    ie a farmer's market
  3. If the farmer at the next table is selling beans like they are going out of style while yours sit and wilt in the heat of the sun, check to see how he is priced.
    ie. his are $2.00 a basket and yours are $5.00
  4. Adjust accordingly.
    ie. lower your price or get a bigger basket
Well there you have it, the secret of the farmer's market. Man I hope no one tells the farmer's I told you about it, they may make me dance....


Maybe my next post I will get back to talking about something that a home seller could use to help them. Something about the economy, because we all know you can't sell a house in an economy. Right?

M

No comments: